In the center of the plaza, there is an early 20th-century kiosk with a stained glass cupola topped by a bronze eagle. It has served as an administrative/governmental building since it was constructed in the 18th century. Coordinates: 19°21′00″N 99°09′42″W / 19.35000°N 99.16167°W / 19.35000; -99.16167, Pueblo de los Reyes, La Candelaria and other traditional “barrios”, Absorption into the Distrito Federal and twentieth- and twenty-first century developments, Miguel León-Portilla, "Códice de Coyoacan: Nómina de tributos, siglo XVI.  After the Zocalo, the most-visited place in Mexico City is this historic center, especially the twin plazas in its center. These two are separated from the historic center by Avenida Miguel A de Quevedo. , While lacking in landmarks, La Candelaria and Los Reyes are considered to be the two most traditional communities in the borough, with mostly religious traditions that extend back into the colonial period. The name means “house of Anáhuac” Anáhuac was the Nahuatl name for the Valley of Mexico.  When the plazas reopened in 2009, there were confrontations between the vendors and authorities, both on the plazas with police and in the courts, despite the fact that the borough built a nearby bazaar on Felipe Carrillo Puerto. In this portrait, Stalin stands before a wheelchair. Legend says it was originally a country home for Miguel Angel de Quevedo. It was constructed in 1906 as a residence for Bertha Vizcayno de Vergara who remained there until 1967. Sometime after that, it was replaced by modern busses. Die international bekanntesten Attraktionen von Coyoacán sind die Casa Azul, in dem Frida Kahlo geboren wurde und die meiste Zeit ihres Lebens verbrachte, sowie das heutige Museo Casa León Trotsky, das Kahlo dem nach Mexiko immigrierten russischen Revolutionär schenkte und in dem dieser von Jaime Ramón Mercader del Río Hernández mit einem Eispickel ermordet wurde. Designed by architects Mario Pani and Enrique del Moral, it was built in the 1950s to move the university from the scattered colonial buildings in the historic center of Mexico City. This order is still opposed by some neighborhood groups, but as of 2010, there are still a limited number of these vendors selling in the plazas.  The south side of the plaza is lined with cafes and restaurants, including the well-known Café El Parnaso, and the north side features a very large crafts market. Die erste Erwähnung des prähispanischen Dorfs Coyohuacan findet sich in den Aufzeichnungen von Chimalpahin (1579–1660). A hall was added in the early 1900s. During the sixteenth century and into the seventeenth, there was an active Spanish land market in Coyoacán, with many bills of sale in Nahuatl found in the archives. Reeds are cut and decorated with multicolored crepe paper and half inflated balloons and then are given to children as they pass by on the streets. The village, later municipality, of Coyoacán remained completely independent of Mexico City through the colonial period into the 19th century. Estadio Azteca, located in the Santa Ursula area, is the home of the Club América and Mexican national soccer teams. The facade is simple and is fronted by a series of columns in sandstone and wood over which is a roof.  Famous rulers were Maxtla and his son Tecollotzin. It is most often translated as “place of coyotes” but other possible translations such as “skinny coyote” and “place of wells” and “land of the water of the jackal or coyote” have also been proposed. It is a small stone-block building with a door made of black stone. A number of these villages also have certain unique traditions associated with these celebrations.  The Casa de Cultura Ricardo Flores Magón was opened in 1986 with the name of Casa del Pueblo. Initially, opposition to the removal of the vendors came not only from the vendors themselves, but also from some neighborhood groups and local businesses who feared their removal would hurt tourism. The rivalry is known as the Clasico Capitalino is centered around the Coyoacán borough, as the home stadiums for both America and the Pumas are within a few miles of each other. The brothers cultivated a number of crops including fruit trees and flowers. Today, much of this atrium is now the Plaza del Centenario. The bookstores are here because the area is close to the Ciudad Universitaria and the student population that lives in the area. The rural economy gave way as fields and orchards were built over, as well as the remaining lake and conifer forests. In the 1940s, it was enlarged, but its colonial style was respected.  Over time, as the complex deteriorated and was reconstructed and restored various time, most was replaced so that now the only original parts from the 16th century are the choir area, the Rosario Chapel and the main altar.  In 2008, neighborhood groups worked against the construction of new apartment complexes in the borough in order to halt further urbanization. While the growing business helps the economy, resident groups fear that the area will lose its current character, as many businesses are opening in formerly residential buildings, with questionable legal basis. Learn about the species that live inDelegación Coyoacán, DF, MX! In the garden, there is a tomb which contains Trotsky's and his wife's ashes. Prior to this, there had been no restoration work to the building for about a century. While the practice was illegal, it had been tolerated by authorities, even though it caused damage to the plazas and caused traffic problems. The door and window jambs are typical of civil constructions of the 18th century with wrought iron work. It is named after a Mexican artist whose work reflected the country's political and artistic history. Cortés blieb während des Wiederaufbaus von Mexiko-Stadt bis 1523 in Coyohuacan, das zu jener Zeit etwa 7.000 Einwohner zählte. It was created to house facilities related to various art forms and by artists from all over the world as well as Mexico. , The Centro Cultural Universitario was built between 1976 and 1980 by engineers and architects of the school headed by Arcadio Artis Espiritu and Orso Nuñez Ruiz Velasco. , La Casa de los Padres Camilos (The House of the Camillo Priests) is on Calle Fernandez Leal in the Barrio de la Concepción. , The Juárez Institute is located on the corner of Cuauhtemoc and Abasolo Streets. Octavio Paz died here in 1998. The high relief decoration in the front was designed by Diego Rivera and created as a mosaic using naturally colored stones. , This integration into the city proper has brought with it big city problems. The collection includes an American map of the facility from 1847, artifacts from the French Intervention in Mexico and a plot by Henry Lane Wilson to bring down the government of Francisco I. Madero in 1913. Enciclopedia de los Municipios y Delegaciones de México: Diese Seite wurde zuletzt am 3. In addition to more common elements, the celebration also includes the lighting of the candle of three large wooden crosses, performed by groups performing indigenous dances such as Concheros.  The festival called the Recibimiento del Señor de las Misericordia occurs in September in both Los Reyes and La Candelaria. An der Plaza Hidalgo, dem Hauptplatz des Bezirks, befinden sich die Überreste des 1528 von Dominikanern gegründeten Klosters San Juan Bautista. To distinguish it from the rest of Coyoacán borough, the former independent community is referred to as Villa Coyoacán or the historic center of the borough. , The Casa del Indio Fernández House is located on Dulce Oliva Street in Barrio de Santa Catarina. There is an unfinished portrait of Joseph Stalin, who became a hero to Kahlo after Rivera had a falling out with Russian Communism theorist Leon Trotsky.  These two roads, along with other colonial-era roads still have structures which are centuries old. Tourism is an important part of the borough commerce and services sector. , The "Alfredo Guati Rojo" National Watercolor Museum is dedicated to watercolor paintings. The altepetl (town) of Coyoacán continued to assess tribute on the basis of the size of a person's land holdings long after Spaniards had switched to a head tax. What Cortés eventually built here where administrative buildings for the offices used to manage the vast lands he was granted as the Marquis del Valle de Oaxaca, which included the Coyoacán area. Word went out to try to find which church the image belonged to. It is also said that it was the transfer point and a customs checkpoint for goods heading from Coyoacán and San Angel to Mexico City.